Everyone deserves access to professional oral health care. At Splendid Dental Bellaire, we provide professional oral health services, including orthodontic services as well. We understand many people associate orthodontics with braces during their teenage years; however, orthodontics is actually for people of all ages. Our team of dental experts can guide you through the process and procedures, familiarizing you with how orthodontics can improve the look of your smile.
Who Usually Gets Orthodontics?
When people think about orthodontics, they usually think about braces. Then, they think about high schoolers who walk around with metal brackets and wires on their teeth. Indeed, braces are commonly found in teenagers. The vast majority of orthodontic treatment is going to start sometime during middle school or high school.
On the other hand, orthodontics can be right for people of all ages. A trained orthodontist can address a wide variety of issues related to the alignment of the teeth, the jaw, and the mouth overall. These problems can arise, and people of all ages. Therefore, no matter how old or how young you are, an orthodontist from our team can work with you to improve the alignment of your jaw and mouth.
How Do Orthodontic Services Work?
A trained orthodontist can work with a wide variety of appliances. Some of them are fixed, while others are removable. All of these appliances are designed to help you move your teeth, retrain muscles in your mouth, and ensure that your jaw is aligned appropriately. Depending on your exact situation, a variety of orthodontic appliances might be used. Some of the most common pieces of equipment that we use include:
- Braces: Of course, the most common appliance that we use embossed braces. Braces are bands, wires, and brackets that are fixed around the teeth. The wire then applies pressure to the teeth, placing tension on them to move them into place.
- Space Maintainers: If a baby tooth falls out prematurely, a space maintainer can be put in place to keep the space open until the permanent tooth comes in. This prevents the teeth around the gap from moving out of place.
- Invisalign: Another treatment option is Invisalign trays. Invisalign trays are clear trays designed to gradually place pressure on the teeth, moving them into alignment. This is a great alternative for people who might not like the look or feel of braces.
These are just a few of the many orthodontic devices that we use to help our patients.
What Is My Diet Like With Braces?
One of the most common questions that we hear regarding races has to do with a diet. Eating too many sugary foods with braces can cause plaque buildup around the brackets. This can lead to tooth stains, cavities, and other forms of oral decay. Some of the foods that you should make sure that you avoid with braces include:
- Hard foods such as whole apples and corn on the cob
- Sticky foods such as chewing gum
- Most forms of candy
If we decide the braces are right for you, we will talk with you in-depth about how to take care of them appropriately. Trust an orthodontist from our team to take care of you.
Rely on the Oral Health Professionals at Splendid Dental Bellaire
If you are looking for orthodontic services, then reach out to us today at 832.365.4860. Splendid Dental Bellaire provides a wide variety of services. Whether it’s general dental services for yourself or family dentistry, we can provide the service you need. We also offer emergency dental services whenever an issue arises. Contact our team today to make an appointment with a dentist or orthodontist from our practice.