Oral health is extremely important and the modern advancements in science and technology have made it very easy to get treatment for common dental problems. Previously, people didn’t go to the dentist as much due to fear of painful procedures. But that has changed and many general dentistry visits are painless. If you’re too anxious, the Houston sedation dentist may give you something to help you relax before treating you.
What to Do When You Have Common Dental Problems
It is quite normal to have a few dental problems throughout your life. The real question is, what to do about them? If there is a particular dental problem that is persistent, you’ll need to visit the dentist.
Many dental problems may seem common but they are not. For instance, the presence of canker sores or mouth ulcers may be a symptom of a disease such as diabetes or cancer. In such a case, you’ll have to visit the dentist and go for a medical check-up and oral cancer screening.
The best thing you can do is to take care of your teeth and focus on preventing the occurrence of dental problems. For instance, make sure you replace your toothbrush every 3 months. Floss twice every day and avoid taking extremely hot or cold drinks. You should also consume sugary foods and carbonated beverages in moderation.
Common Dental Problems and Their Causes
The following are some common dental problems and their causes:
- Halitosis: Commonly known as bad breath, it is often caused by bacteria, tooth cavities, or gum disease.
- Mouth sores: This includes canker sores and sores on the outer part of your mouth. The common cause of mouth sores is bacterial infections. They might also occur as a result of an underlying disease or disorder.
- Chipped teeth: A cracked tooth may go unnoticed if it causes no pain. The major causes of chipped teeth are chewing hard foods or objects or grinding your teeth.
- Tooth decay: This is the most common dental problem. It occurs as a result of the combination of sugar with starch or plaque.
- Enamel degradation: This occurs as a result of years of enamel erosion from the consumption of acids, and starches.
- Gum disease: It’s a result of infections or not observing proper oral hygiene such as brushing twice a day
Common dental problems may last between 1-2 weeks. But you shouldn’t wait that long, visit the general dentist’s office if you notice any of the above dental problems. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, 64% of all adults visit the dentist. This is mostly due to the onset of common dental problems that are easily treated.
Treatment Services at Splendid Dental Bellaire
Regardless of the severity of a common dental problem, you deserve to receive quality treatment. The following are some treatment services for common dental problems:
- Cosmetic dentistry services: Focus on helping you regain your smile and maintain your teeth’s health and functionality. Cosmetic dentists use elective procedures to treat your gums, mouth, and teeth.
- Dental braces services: These help you or your loved one have straight teeth and prevents the occurrence of chipped or cracked teeth.
- General dentistry services: Treat a wide range of issues and help you during your routine visits by diagnosing and treating common dental problems.
- Dental anxiety services: Help patients who are may fear dentists or dread the entire experience. The dentist thus uses sedation therapy and may administer some oral medication to help the patient become more comfortable to receive treatment.
Take a Trip to the Dentist’s Office
Make visiting the dentist’s office a regular thing, even if it’s just for a routine check-up. This will help you prevent many common dental problems. Don’t let poor oral hygiene expose you to many dental health risks such as tooth decay or gum disease. Contact Splendid Dental Bellaire today by calling 832.365.4860 for a routine check-up.